The Castles (Kastelia) of Santorini


During the byzantine times and later on, during the Venetian empire (1207-1580 AD), the coasts of the Aegean Sea were suffering due to the constant pirates’ attacks. The only solution for the island’s inhabitants was to move to higher, rough grounds and fortify them. Therefore they have built castles with fully equipped observation posts in order to be able to be warned on time in case of invasion. These are the famous castles of Santorini. Constructed and governed by the Venetians under the feudalism system. They have not only been places of safe living but also places of prosperity and religious tolerance and freedom. The feudal lords were living at “Goulas” which were fortified buildings who have been used as defensive forts and warehouses. A church was built at the entrance of each castle. The 5 castles of Santorini are: the rock of Skaros, the Castle of Pyrgos, the Tower of Niborio, the Castle and Tower of Akrotiri and the Kasteli of Oia. The Rock of Skaros was originally known as “the upper fortress” or “la Roka”and was, most probably, the most important of the 5 castles of the island. It was populated during the Middle-Ages and enclosed a large settlement. Underneath the Kasteli of Pyrgos galleries were constructed in order to be used by the inhabitants if they needed to hide or to escape in case of invasion. The original building of the Tower of Niborio has been built during the 15th century A.D. Only a few sections of the old majestic building are still standing proudly, gazing at the amazing view. The Castle & the Tower of Akrotiri were named “La Ponta” which has also been thriving during the Middle-Ages. Today, you will find there an exhibition of traditional musical instruments. It once was the biggest castle of Santorini, but now only a few fragments of the Kasteli of Oia remain. However it is the favorite spot of everybody who wishes to admire the famous sunset of Santorini.

Τα Καστέλια της Σαντορίνης
Κατά την Βυζαντινή εποχή κι αργότερα, κατά την διάρκεια την Φραγκοκρατίας (1207 – 1580 μ.Χ), οι ακτές του Αιγαίου υπέφεραν από συνεχείς επιδρομές πειρατών. Η μόνη λύση για τους κατοίκους του νησιού ήταν να μετακινηθούν σε πιο ψηλές και δύσβατες περιοχές και να τις οχυρώσουν. Κατασκεύασαν πύργους και παρατηρητήρια πλήρως εξοπλισμένα ώστε να προειδοποιούνται σε περίπτωση εισβολής. Αυτά λοιπόν, αποτέλεσαν τα περίφημα καστέλια (κάστρα) της Σαντορίνης. Κατασκευασμένα και διοικούμενα με το σύστημα της Φεουδαρχίας, από τους Βενετούς υπήρξαν όχι μόνο τόποι προστασίας των κατοίκων από πιθανούς εισβολείς, αλλά και τόποι ευημερίας και θρησκευτικής ελευθερίας. Οι Φεουδάρχες του νησιού ζούσαν στους Γουλάδες, κτήρια-πύργους που χρησιμοποιούνταν ως αμυντικά φρούρια και ως γεωργικές αποθήκες.Στις εισόδους όλων των κάστρων της Σαντορίνης βρισκόταν μια εκκλησία. Τα 5 καστέλια της Σαντορίνης είναι: ο βράχος του Σκάρου, το Κάστρο (Καστέλι) του Πύργου, Ο Πύργος του Νημποριού (Εμπορείου), Το Κάστρο & O Πύργος του Ακρωτηρίου και το Καστέλι της Οίας. Ο Σκάρος, αρχικά γνωστός ως «το επάνω φρούριο» ή “ La Roka” ήταν ίσως το πιο σημαντικό καστέλι του νησιού και διέθετε έναν πυκνοκατοικημένο οικισμό. Κάτω από το Καστέλι του Πύργου είχε κατασκευαστεί ένα σύστημα «στοών» ώστε σε περίπτωση εισβολής οι κάτοικοι να κρυφτούν ή να διαφύγουν. Το αρχικό κτίσμα στον πύργο του Νημποριού κτίστηκε κατά τον 15ο αιώνα, ενώ σήμερα διασώζονται μόνο μερικά τμήματά του. Το Κάστρο & O Πύργος του Ακρωτηρίου γνωστό ως “La Ponta” άκμασε κι αυτό κατά τους μεσαιωνικούς χρόνους. Σήμερα λειτουργεί εκεί έκθεση παραδοσιακών οργάνων. Από το μεγάλο Καστέλι της Οίας, δυστυχώς, ελάχιστα κομμάτια έχουν διασωθεί. Είναι όμως το αγαπημένο σημείο όλων όσων θέλουν να παρακολουθήσουν το διάσημο ηλιοβασίλεμα της Σαντορίνης.
By Andromahi Tsaka Abatzi

Comments 0

Αφήστε μια απάντηση